[OS X TeX] Re: Re: personnal packages : thanks (Herbert Schulz)

Karine Fourlon fourlon.karine at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 8 11:32:30 EST 2011


Thank you. 
I was so preoccupied about the whole thing that I forgot the basic stuff ! It works.

Karine



Le 7 janv. 2011 à 21:00, <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> a écrit :

> Send MacOSX-TeX mailing list submissions to
> 	macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	macosx-tex-owner at email.esm.psu.edu
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of MacOSX-TeX digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Syncing in one direction only (Don Green Dragon)
>   2. Re: Syncing in one direction only (Alain Schremmer)
>   3. Re: Syncing in one direction only (Herbert Schulz)
>   4. Re: Syncing in one direction only (Alain Schremmer)
>   5. Math font samples (Michael Sharpe)
>   6. personnal packages : thanks (Karine Fourlon)
>   7. Re: personnal packages : thanks (Herbert Schulz)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:51:57 -0700
> From: Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only
> To: TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>
> Message-ID: <DE1ECE89-B814-4306-94C1-478216728584 at Shaw.ca>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> Hello Herb,
> 
> 
> On 2011-05Jan-, at 5:12 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> 
>> On Jan 4, 2011, at 10:51 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>> <<snip>>
>> 
>> Howdy,
>> 
>> There are two texmf.cnf files. Although I don't recommend touching either one the one in /usr/local/texlive/2010/ is the only one that could be touched since it contains any changes in configuration from the standard base configuration for the local system. The main texmf.cnf file is in /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/ and is read in first. It has the lines you are interested in changing (by adding corrected lines to the other texmf.cnf file) so examine its contents.
> 
> Ok, thanks for that information.
> 
> 
>> Do understand that changes you make to texmf.cnf may have unintended consequences and especially to security of your TeX Distribution and system.
> 
> No, I did not so understand. On the other hand, I had no intention of modifying <texmf.cnf> until I knew more about the situation. I have to find that message from Bruno Voisin that Alain Schremmer referred to.
> 
> 
> Don Green Dragon
> fergdc at Shaw.ca
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:52:26 -0500
> From: Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only
> To: TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>
> Message-ID: <13DE5502-EEEF-48D3-A6C8-27DBC69303B3 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; delsp=yes; format=flowed
> 
> 
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:
> 
>> No, I did not so understand. On the other hand, I had no intention  
>> of modifying <texmf.cnf> until I knew more about the situation. I  
>> have to find that message from Bruno Voisin that Alain Schremmer  
>> referred to.
> 
> 
> 
> Look at the thread  Error: I can't write on file '(name)'
> 
> March 22, 2007
> 
> Here is, I think, what Voisin said to do and what I did.
> Regards
> --schremmer
> 
> 
> Le 22 mars 07 à 12:45, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
> 
>> Find the line
>> 
>>    openout_any = p
>> 
>> in there; change to
>> 
>>    openout_any = r
>> 
>> and I think you'll be OK. ("a" would be even more permissive than  
>> "r", but I don't think you need that.)
> 
> Thanks for this tip, that's helpful. I knew about the -R option (=  
> secure mode) of dvips, and about the -shell-escape and -no-shell- 
> escape options of pdftex, but I didn't suspect there was this switch  
> in addition for pdftex in texmf.cnf.
> 
> Regarding texmf.cnf, the gwTeX and MacTeX/TeXLive setups are a bit  
> different. With MacTeX/TeXLive, there is one single texmf.cnf at:
> 
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> 
> which is the file to edit. With gwTeX, there are two different  
> texmf.cnf at:
> 
> /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf
> /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> 
> The second file is the TeXLive default, and the first file is where  
> local modifications are kept. The two are read in sequence, with any  
> definition in the first superseding definitions read later in the  
> second.
> 
> Hence, for MacTeX/TeXLive simply *edit* the unique /usr/local/texlive/ 
> 2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf as said above, while for gwTeX you need to  
> *add*:
> 
>     openout_any = r
> 
> to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf.
> 
> Finally, to Alain, regarding the editor, in case you don't have  
> TextWrangler you can simply use pico. pico is a stand-alone version  
> of the text editor of the pine mail reader, and it's "intuitive"- 
> enough to use (on second thought, I think pico in OS X points  
> actually to nano, a GNU clone of pico -- those physicists, they just  
> couldn't resist ;-).
> 
> Simply type in Terminal, using MacTeX as an example:
> 
> sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> 
> then use Ctrl-V to move down screen-by-screen until you reach the  
> desired part (you can also use the DownArrow key to move down line-by- 
> line):
> 
> % Allow TeX \openin, \openout, or \input on filenames starting with `.'
> % (e.g., .rhosts) or outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
> % a (any)        : any file can be opened.
> % r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
> % p (paranoid)   : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
> %                  restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
> openout_any = p
> openin_any = a
> 
> then modify the openout_any setting as required, and then type in  
> Ctrl-O to save and Ctrl-X to quit.
> 
> The bad thing is that texmf.cnf will be overwritten each time TeX is  
> updated, so that you'll have to redo your modification each time.  
> Actually it's simpler with gwTeX, as installed by i-Installer: at  
> each update, I think, i-Installer detects the local /usr/local/gwTeX/ 
> texmf.cnf has been changed and offers to save a copy on your Desktop  
> (with the date appended at the end of the name) before performing the  
> update. Then you'll simply have to merge back your modifications  
> after the update.
> 
> Hope this helps,
> 
> Bruno Voisin
> ------------------------- Helpful Info -------------------------
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 19:21:59 -0600
> From: Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only
> To: TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>
> Message-ID: <B5049E3A-98C8-48D2-A904-05EBDD9B4FEA at wideopenwest.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> 
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
> 
>> 
>> On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>> 
>>> No, I did not so understand. On the other hand, I had no intention of modifying <texmf.cnf> until I knew more about the situation. I have to find that message from Bruno Voisin that Alain Schremmer referred to.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Look at the thread  Error: I can't write on file '(name)'
>> 
>> March 22, 2007
>> 
>> Here is, I think, what Voisin said to do and what I did.
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>> 
>> 
>> Le 22 mars 07 à 12:45, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>> 
>>> Find the line
>>> 
>>>   openout_any = p
>>> 
>>> in there; change to
>>> 
>>>   openout_any = r
>>> 
>>> and I think you'll be OK. ("a" would be even more permissive than "r", but I don't think you need that.)
>> 
>> Thanks for this tip, that's helpful. I knew about the -R option (= secure mode) of dvips, and about the -shell-escape and -no-shell-escape options of pdftex, but I didn't suspect there was this switch in addition for pdftex in texmf.cnf.
>> 
>> Regarding texmf.cnf, the gwTeX and MacTeX/TeXLive setups are a bit different. With MacTeX/TeXLive, there is one single texmf.cnf at:
>> 
>> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>> 
>> which is the file to edit. With gwTeX, there are two different texmf.cnf at:
>> ...
> 
> Howdy,
> 
> That's just plain wrong! There are two texmf.cnf files. The base file, with the initial settings and most of the information one needs, is in /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/web2c while the one to edit is in /usr/local/texlive/2010.
> 
>> ...
>> Hence, for MacTeX/TeXLive simply *edit* the unique /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf as said above, while for gwTeX you need to *add*:
>> 
>>   openout_any = r
>> 
>> to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf.
>> ...
> 
> No, no no! Edit the one in /usr/local/texlive/2010 if you want to make changes. Add the changed lines and they will override the ones in the base file.
> 
> Good Luck,
> 
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 00:11:44 -0500
> From: Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only
> To: TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>
> Message-ID: <C488C3CD-A70E-4B4E-8B0E-479918128CFC at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed
> 
> 
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 8:21 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> 
>> Howdy,
>> 
>> That's just plain wrong! There are two texmf.cnf files. The base  
>> file, with the initial settings and most of the information one  
>> needs, is in /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/web2c while the one to  
>> edit is in /usr/local/texlive/2010.
>> 
>>> ...
>>> Hence, for MacTeX/TeXLive simply *edit* the unique /usr/local/ 
>>> texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf as said above, while for gwTeX  
>>> you ne