[OS X TeX] WP2LaTeX: Mac executable?

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 7 15:54:29 EDT 2011

A programmer named Jaroslav Fojtik has revised and greatly enhanced some old code to convert WordPerfect (Mac versions as well as DOS/Windows versions up to maybe WP6 or so) into LaTeX. It isn't perfect (I gather) but it is very helpful if you have old WP files. The program is called WP2LaTeX.

At Jaroslav's web site there are executables for Windows and Linux, but not yet for Mac OS X. He has provided the makefiles and all the source; I've attempted to compile it but so far without success (this is indicative of my neophyte skills in programming under *nix than anything else.) The compiled form would be a command-line utility. All the files are also available at CTAN I believe,

(Incidentally, there is a way to run Mac WP--indeed, the entire program is now abandon-ware and is available on line--using a thing called SheepShaver. Heroic efforts by a number of individuals allow you to continue to run old Classic OS 9 (really, OS 7.5) programs under SheepShaver. I run Mac WP under SheepShaver from time to time mostly to grab old text to convert it to LaTeX.)

Has anyone compiled Jaroslav's code under OS X? Is there a place where a Mac OS X executable version of Jaroslav's program be obtained? If so, should it go up at CTAN?

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools