[OS X TeX] Writing an Underscore in LaTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jul 28 12:11:28 EDT 2011

I wrote:

> You need to use a representation of an underscore which will be shown as that character.
>
> \textunderscore may work,

Won't work.

> or you'll need to use a construct which places the Unicode character or places a special in the file to indicate the cmap value or alt text for it.

But this is an FAQ:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=underscore

but I'm not finding those instructions helpful.

The solution should be something like:

 - select a font which contains an underscore
 - create a command which sets the character underscore as the glyph from the font
 - (optional?) set a command which adds special information to the .pdf so that your screenreader says something which makes sense.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer