[OS X TeX] another bad page break problem

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 21:33:02 EDT 2011

Hi.

On Jun 15, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> By the way, your use of upright text for descriptive words in subscripts
> is laudable — most people get this wrong.

Indeed.  I've had the privilege of studying the Master's works (i.e., Knuth), and this is a point he makes more than once.   I highly recommend his "Mathematical Writing".  Anybody who's going to do mathematical writing (e.g., PhD students) should read same and learn its lessons.

To me, a juxtaposition of math italics is implied multiplication, not a label.  Besides, math italics were not designed for the formation of words; something like $c_{in}$ just Looks Funny.

> However not sure why you chose to use \operatorname .
> It is sufficient to use \mathrm or \text

Somehow I got into the habit of doing that a very long time ago.  Maybe this was in Spivak's "Joy of TeX"; I don't remember.

Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
Internet: agw STRUDEL comcast.net