[OS X TeX] New Laptop...

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 11:33:08 EDT 2011

On 24 Jun 2011, at 3:57:45PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> This might be true. And it might be also true that these don't support the TRIM command (which Lion will use) and finally make the OS search endlessly for some left-over blocks in disk to save the large PDF output. (Ever encountered when your set-top box with disk recording reaches the state of almost no disk space left?)

I had a no-TRIM SSD. It worked fine, even when over 95% full, and regularly overwiting GBs data. (It did "garbage collection" in its spare time). However slow it gets, I'd be very suprised if it is still not much much faster than an HD.

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof. Ralph Martin                          Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
Computer Science & Informatics             Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University                   Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath                  WWW:  http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK     VOIP: sip:17476235487 at proxy01.sipphone.com