[OS X TeX] some TeXShop questions

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jun 27 15:55:37 EDT 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:18 PM, Joe Heafner wrote:

> I have some TeXShop questions for which I've not been able to find answers. I apologize in advance if I have missed the answers elsewhere. I'm using the very latest TeXShop and TeXLive2010 with all updates applied.
>
> 1) How can I clear the entries in the Find/Replace dialog?
> 2) In my ~/Library/texmf/tex folder, can I remove the "context" folder and its contents if I don't use context? Similarly with the "plain" folder since I don't use Plain TeX?
> 3) Do I need to have the pdfsync.sty file in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex around? It's quite old. Does the latest TeXShop use it?
>

> Joe Heafner

Howdy,

1)No idea. On the other hand I also never use it.

2)In your personal tree you need only have folders if you actually have had to place things in those folders.

3)Get rid of pdfsync.sty. In the first place TeX Live already has that package. More important, that package has been deprecated since it could change the page layout, so don't use it at all. It has been superseded by synctex which is built into the typesetting engines. All recent versions of TeXShop have used synctex for Source<->Preview synchronization.

A note: synctex has changed in the upcoming TeX Live 2011 (MacTeX-2011) and you'll have to update to the next version of TeXShop (released when MacTeX-2011 will be released) to get it to work. That version of TeXShop will still work with TeX Live 2010 also.

Please check what packages you have in your personal texmf tree since TeX Live is so complete that you don't want to unknowingly have older versions of packages that may cause incompatibilities with new versions of other packages.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)