[OS X TeX] Can typeset but cannot just save

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Mar 15 09:23:49 EDT 2011

Alain,

> On Mar 14, 2011, at 10:00 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> All of sudden, none of the many LaTeX files in a folder can be saved.  (TeX message) Yet,
>>
>> (1 ) They can be typeset (and therefore saved)
>>
>> (2)  If I move a file elsewhere, it still cannot be saved.
>>
>> (2)  If I duplicate the file into another folder, the duplicate can be saved there. And once it is back in the main folder it can now be saved again.
>>
>> So it is not a catastrophe but what am I missing?
>>
>> Intrigued regards
>> --schremme

This is caused when the "kHasCustomIcon" flag is set as part of the file's attributes.
You can check using Terminal by typing

	xattr -l  myfile.tex

where "myfile" is the file causing problem. I predict the listed attributes will be

where ** represents other things which aren't problematic, and it is the 04 causing problems.

TeXShop doesn't set the flag. I don't know what causes it to be set.

Cocoa ignores the flag in Tiger, as it should. But it sees it in Leopard, causing the indicated
problem. The bug is fixed in Snow Leopard.

Dick Koch