[OS X TeX] Aligning equations with comments

leedwitt at gmail.com leedwitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:26:11 EDT 2011

I need to align x-terms, operator, y-terms, equal sign, and right-hand sides in their own columns, while keeping my comment space to the right. I also need to underline that second equation before writing that third equation.

I've used hphantom commands to align x and y values before (one equation has 3x, use hphantom{3}x in the next line. Same thing for negatives to align right sides.

I have no idea about the underlining.