[OS X TeX] TeX and 10.6.7

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Mar 30 08:38:47 EDT 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 6:03 AM, Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did any of the members of this list upgrade to 10.6.7 ?
> For those who did, do you have any problems with PDFTeX generated pdfs ?
>
> I'm asking because of the various issues reported with opentype fonts and 10.6.7 (see for instance http://www.tidbits.com/article/12078 or http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2794186&start=0&tstart=0)

Howdy,

I haven't had a problem that is TeX related but my wife couldn't print a Tax Return from TurboTax and when we printed to PDF it looked fine in Preview, caused Adobe Reader to crash and when printing it via Preview it printed incorrectly.

It appears that the Apple Typesetting System (ATS --- I think that's what it means) was changed in 10.6.7 and it's MUCH more picky about fonts. After much tearing of hair (that's singular, I don't have much to lose) I had Font Book validate all the fonts and there were two versions of Courier (that's what the IRS wants for stuff you enter) fonts marked as bad that were getting used when printing but not in display (the font wasn't getting embedded). I removed those two fonts (just deactivating them also works) and all is well again.

When I validated fonts on my system there were several otf fonts that were picked out as being bad by Font Book including Linux Libertine O and I don't seem to have a problem with displaying or printing with those files using that font.

All in all I think Apple knows about the problems and will, eventually, fix them. I don't think folks are going to be happy when they can't print their Tax Return!

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)