[OS X TeX] how open directories in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 5 17:44:28 EDT 2011

On Nov 5, 2011, at 2:18 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Instructions at http://www.pctex.com/kb/74.html say to put files for the PCTeX MathTimePro II and Lucida fonts into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. But some of the subdirectories of the latter simply will not open in finder -- even after I change their permissions to make them readable and writeable by me (and I have administrator privileges).
>
> This is the case, e.g., with the doc and source subdirectories.
>
> Is there some way -- other than having to use long commands in Terminal to see what's there and to copy files to there?

Terminal installation is not hard, and you can do serious damage trying to install with Finder. Just cd to the folder containing your downloaded lucida fonts and support files---you should see at the top level folders named doc, fonts, etc. Then type

sudo cp -rf * /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

You will have to provide a password when asked.

Then type

sudo mktexlsr

to inform the tex databases about the new files, then

sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

to create the required entries in your system map files.

Michael