[OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 49, Issue 4

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Nov 6 22:07:14 EST 2011

On Nov 6, 2011, at 17:48 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
[snip]
>>> and let us know the output so we can see how the permissions and ownership are set?
>>
>> ls -aFl /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x  13 root    wheel   442 Nov  5 17:29 ./
>> drwxr-xr-x   4 root    wheel   136 Nov  3 19:31 ../
>> drwxr-xr-x   4 root    wheel   136 Jun 21 10:04 bibtex/
>> drwxr-xr-x+  4 root    wheel   136 Nov  5 16:53 doc/
[snip]
> Hmmmm... for some reason there are additional permissions on the doc, source and tpm directories (the + sign at the end) and I don't know much about dealing with those but they shouldn't be there.

According to the man page for 'ls', the "+" sign means that there is extra information associated with the file/directory so decorated:

     If the file
     or directory has extended attributes, the permissions field printed
     by the -l option is followed by a '@' character.  Otherwise, if the
     file or directory has extended security information (such as an
     access control list), the permissions field printed by the -l option
     is followed by a '+' character.

What that information is is left as an exercise for the reader :-}

It's not correct to say that the "+" should not be there, although it's hard to say why it would be there (e.g., there are no "+"s in my installation).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director