[OS X TeX] Single-stepping through TeX

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Fri Nov 18 14:47:08 EST 2011

Is there any way to single-step through a very simple TeX execution
(after inputing the plain format), in order to watch with a debugger how
it operates?  Preferably using the XCode environment that in turn depends
on gdb.

I've got TeXLive 2010 installed, with the 2011 disk available.

Although there's a directory in the distribution tree for web2c, I can't
find any executables or sources or directions that make it easy (no doubt
for some value of "easy") to convert TeX's source code into final
runnable C code for the command line program "tex".

Searching the web hasn't helped much either, except to make clear that
the endeavor looks completely frought and complex.

Thanks.

Doug McKenna