[OS X TeX] Mathcal fonts

R Martinez rm.tech at mac.com
Mon Nov 28 13:13:30 EST 2011

Hello,

I am having a problem with the mathcal fonts. Specifically, letters produced using the command

$\mathcal{A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z}$

are not identical to those shown in

Kopka and Daly, Guide to LaTeX, 4th ed., p. 127.

However, the letters A, C, E are identical to those shown in

Gratzer, More Math Into LaTeX, 4th ed., p. 197.  (A, C, E are the only letters shown in Gratzer.)

I prefer the letters shown in Kopka and Daly because they have more embellishments, which I need for my purposes.

Below is the test LaTeX document that I used to generate the mathcal fonts. Typesetting the document generates the mathcal output I refer to. I typeset the document several times, each time commenting out one of the packages, and always got the same output.

I am using TeXShop 3.04 and MacTeX 2011 on a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.2. Typesetting uses LaTeX and pdfTeX.

I will greatly appreciate suggestions about how to get the mathcal fonts to be the ones shown in Kopka and Daly.

Happy holidays,

Raúl Martinez

-------------------Document follows------------------

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

%-------Packages----------------------------------------

\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amsmath, amssymb,amsthm}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{mathrsfs}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{xspace}

%-------------------------------------------------------

\begin{document}

%-------Title-------------------------------------------

\title{Mathcal Font Test}
\date{27 November 2011}

\maketitle

%------------------------------------------------------
\section{Mathcal font}

Letters produced using the command \\ \$ $\backslash$mathcal\{A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z\}\$ \\

$\mathcal{A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z}$ \\

These letters are not identical to those shown in

Kopka and Daly, Guide to LaTeX, 4th ed., p. 127.\\

The letters A, C, E are identical to those shown in

Gratzer, More Math Into LaTeX, 4th ed., p. 197.\\

I prefer the letters shown in Kopka and Daly because they have more embellishments, which I need for my purposes.\\

I will greatly appreciate suggestions about how to get the mathcal fonts to be the ones shown in Kopka and Daly.

\end{document}