[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 48, Issue 1

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Oct 1 16:28:46 EDT 2011

On Oct 1, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I already looked at in the System Preferences, Spelling, Filters pane and then the TeX/LaTeX part. I see such things included as:
>
>  newcounter, newcommand, pagestyle
>
> Nonetheless, still in TeXShop, those commands are being flagged as misspelled!
>
> Moreover, that list of TeXLaTeX filter commands is just about the barest imaginable -- so short as to be nearly useless (if only it even worked). There's a + button, presumably to add to the list, but that button doesn't work.
>
> I also did open TeXShop's Edit > Spelling and Grammar window, and the dictionary showing there seems to be the same as I enabled in OS X System Preferences, namely:
>
>  English (United States} [w_accents] (Aspell)
>
> It's just unbelievable to me that a TeX front end would not supply a working TeX/LaTeX-filtering spell-checker, whether built-in or by means of a 3rd party tool.
>
> (Once again my hopes for a good TeX front-end on the Mac seem dashed.)

Howdy,

Let's see... I and many other folks are using CocoAspell successfully within TeXShop and you assume that the behavior you are seeing is normal and therefore condemning TeXShop. Sigh...

First, I'm using the dictionary that is labelled just English (which takes all the variants), then I have URL, E-mail and TeX/LaTeX checked (although just having TeX/LaTeX checked should be enough). When I look in Filters->TeX/LaTeX I have a list of at least 50 commands. When I press the + key an new command called unknown is added to the list and you can edit that by double clicking it.

In System Preferences->Language & Text->Text I have Correct Spelling automatically checked and in the Spelling popup I've chosen English(Aspell).

And it all works! What OS version are you using? What version of CocoAspell? Did you update from a PPC machine to an Intel machine?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)