[OS X TeX] Re: font difficulties (finding map files in homedir) in MacTeX 2011

John Owens john_owens at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 16:18:47 EDT 2011

Herbert Schulz <herbs at ...> writes:
> If you installed TeX Live with the MacTeX installer your personal
> tree has its root at ~/Library/texmf/ (you'll have to create the
> texmf folder there if you don't already have it). Then put all the
> font stuff in the correct sub-folders of ~/Library/texmf/fonts/...

So I'm pretty sure that MacTeX actually wants the ancillary files
(.map, .vf, that sort of thing) in ~/Library/texlive/2011/... (please
correct me if I'm wrong). That has been the history over the past few
years of MacTeX, anyway.

> One thing to note: I personally think all fonts and associated files
> should be put into the texmf-local tree and you should always do

I totally hear ya, and hope that I don't have to do this. :) Again
this is something MacTeX has (IMHO) done well: allowed the separation
of what's in my personal directory vs. what's system-wide, so that I
can nuke the system-wide stuff and reinstall (or upgrade) without
having to touch any of my personal stuff.

JDO