[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3 and text encoding on Lion - serious problems

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 17 07:43:09 EDT 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Sebastian Nascimento wrote:

> I have observed that the line \usepackage[portuguese]{babel} typesets well, but \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} or \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
> even recognize the edited latin characters when typeset.
> Please, can someone help me?
> regards,
> Sebastian Nascimento

Howdy,

What encoding was used to save the initial file? TeXShop initially defaults to MacOSRoman (applemac to inputenc) but that default can be changed in TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Encoding and then non-ascii characters will appear abnormal if the file was saved with a different encoding. Put the line

% !TEX encoding = MacOSRoman

near the top of your source file if the file is actually saved in that encoding and TeXShop will always open that file with that encoding independent of the default encoding. use `UTF-8 Unicode' instead of `MacOSRoman' (without the quotes of course) if you want to use UTF-8 and use `IsoLatin' instead of `MacOSRoman' if you are using Latin1.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)