[OS X TeX] how enable smart quotes of LaTeX kind

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 30 23:20:43 EDT 2011

On Sep 30, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> In TeXShop 2.43, I don't understand how to use the Edit > Substitutions dialog so that if I type, say
>
>   "hello world"
>
> it will automatically be changed to the LaTeX markup:
>
>  ``hello world''
>
> I don't see any choice to get the latter.

Howdy,

I assume you want two ` at the beginning and two ' at the end. Don't use substitutions but turn on Key Bindings (Check TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Editor->Key Bindings) and the pressing " (dumb double quote) will produce `` then any selection and the cursor and the ''.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)