[OS X TeX] Minipages and altering \mathindent

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Wed Apr 4 23:37:53 EDT 2012

Hi All,

In an attempt to place three minipages on a single line, I was thwarted by the large indent that the environment

\begin{align*} ... \end{align*}

imposes. So I applied the command

(A)	\setlength{\mathindent}{0pt}

and subsequently matters worked out nicely. However, I did not want to maintain the setting (A) since that could interfere with who know what, so I commented (A) out and issued

(B)	\the\mathindent

and the reply from (B) was

(C)	39.37506pt minus 39.37506pt

Therefore, after the minipage code I reset with

(D)	\setlength{\mathindent}{39.37506pt}

However, upon reissuing the command in (B) the response was

(E)	39.37506pt

which differs from response (C). Is the difference significant? I don't really understand reply (C).

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca