[OS X TeX] A Note about latexmk 4.31.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 5 08:15:51 EDT 2012

Howdy,

The latest version of latexmk, v4.31, has the recorder mode of (pdf/xe)latex turned on by default. This tells recent (pdf/xe)latex programs to generate a file list, called file.fls when compiling file.tex, which latexmk examines to make sure it has all file dependencies.

That means you will now have a file with extension .fls after compiling with one of the latexmk engines for TeXShop. There are no problems with having this file present but I want to let you know so you aren't surprised if/when you update to latexmk 4.31.

I have left that default behavior turned on since it allows latexmk to more reliably detect the files involved in the compilation process. If you want the previous behavior please add the lines

# turn recorder option off (no .fls file generated)
$recorder=0;

to the bottom of of your ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit file. You may wish to do this if you are using an older TeX distribution that generates and error message when (pdf/xe)latex is passed the recorder option.

On the other hand, if you retain the recorder option behavior, you may want to add the .fls extension to the file extensions that are to be removed by TeXShop's File->Trash Aux Files menu command. You can do this by running the command

defaults write TeXShop OtherTrashExtensions -array-add "fls"

on Terminal.

If you are using a macro I once supplied for removing extra files you can easily add the "fls" extension to the list of extensions removed by editing that macro in the Macro Editor (Macros->Open Macro Editor…).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)