[OS X TeX] Minion and Minion Pro

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 10 01:35:31 EDT 2012

On Apr 9, 2012, at 9:39 PM, Richard Seguin wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I looked at the instructions for installing the MathPi fonts. In the finder, my versions are called MathePiTwo and MathePiSix. You refer to mh2.pfb and mh6.pfb. Can I merely change the names of my files, or is it more complex than that? Maybe my versions are too old.
>
> I've been playing with your mathalfa package, and it works nicely. boondox works nicely for scr, and matches the optical weight of Minion far better than rsfs does. So far I'm still preferring the style of euler for cal, although its weight could be very slightly heavier. The bold version is too heavy. I'm glad that I looked at this package. I didn't realize that all these font versions existed.
>
> Richard

Richard,

If your versions are MathePiTwo.pfb and MathePiSix.pfb, you can simply rename them to mh2.pfb and mh6.pfb. It is more likely that you have the old Apple format PostScript LWFN with the PostScript outlines in a resource fork and metrics in an associated font suitcase. You have to be very careful dealing with these because the resource fork may be erased when you copy or move it. The safest thing is to copy the font suitcase to the same folder as the LWFN file, then right click on the LWFN and tell it to open with FontForge, which will read both the LWFN and the metric information. Then use FontForge to Generate Fonts (File menu), saving as PS Type 1 Binary. (This used to be done with Fondu, but the method has changed in Lion---there is a discussion in TeXFontUtility.pdf which may be helpful.)

Michael