[OS X TeX] Re: .map file not found?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:33:31 EDT 2012

Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ...> writes:

> It's not a good idea to install font files in your home texmf folder, as
> it can prevent font updates by TeX Live
> Utility from having the intended effect with fonts it updates.
>
> Don't give a full path to your map file. Once the map file is in some
> appropriate part of the texmf forest, it will be found by updmap[-sys].
> With running updmap-sys and then updmap, you have creeated a
> bit of a mess,
> with two versions of updmap.cfg, one in ~/Library/texlive/2011/
> that now shadows you system version.
> I'd advise you to get rid of the home version before doing anything
> else.

I don't think putting new fonts and support inside ~/Library/texmf is a
problem, per discussions at MacOSX-TeX list.

I've resolved the problem with the .map files not being found: I have in
~/Library/texmf/web2c a file updmap.cfg. As soon as I added to it the
entries...

  Map wolfram.map #localtexmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map
Map pdfwolfram.map #localtexmf/pdftex/config/pdfwolfram.map

... now running sudo updmap-sys runs normally and finds the
newly-added .map files.