[OS X TeX] More Minion Pro questions

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 25 02:24:02 EDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Richard Seguin wrote:

> Hmmm, now that I've been looking at this more closely, I'm not sure if this is working correctly. At \huge size both textbf and semib may be giving the exact same results, or so close that it's almost imperceptible. (Sometimes I think I see differences at smaller sizes and sometimes I don't.) Then to confuse things, when I invoke the onlymath option in MinionPro, \normalfont at the \huge size looks very skinny. When I apply \semib nothing changes. But then when I apply \textbf, the letters go from very skinny to very fat. Why the difference? I'm very confused, it's late, and my brain is starting to fail.

You do of course need to have the semibold fonts installed for \renewcommand{\bfdefault}{sb} to have any effect---from what you wrote earlier, you have only MinionPro regular and bold from the otf files. If you had installed your old PostScript MinionPro, that would have had what you needed.

It's late, and though this works for me, it might not for you because I'm ignoring some bits and pieces, but give it a try. Copy the attached files into your ~/Library/texmf tree so they shadow the ones in the system trees, then try \mathscr after \usepackage{bickham}.

Michael