[OS X TeX] Using MinionPro (and MnSymbol)

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 00:14:29 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 4:39 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2012, at 18:33, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>

>> On Apr 26, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Intrigued by the recent discussions, I installed M. Sharpe's TeXFontUtility and installed MinionPro using the application.
>>>
>>> However, I have problems using \ell (in math). I notice that in the MinionPro documentation there is a mention that it is not provided by MnSymbol, but it doesn't typeset anyway.
>>>
>>> Minimal example:
>>>
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \usepackage{MinionPro}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> Typing $\ell$.
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> I get:
>>>
>>> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/texlive/2011/../texmf-local/fonts/typ
>>> e1/adobe/MinionPro/MinionPro-It.pfb): glyph `afii61289' undefined...
>>>
>>> which I assume is related.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> It seems you are using a recent version of the fonts which requires you to replace the original encoding files
>>
>> base-MinionPro-aa.enc
>> base-MinionPro-ab.enc
>> base-MinionPro-ac.enc
>> base-MinionPro-ad.enc
>> base-MinionPro-ae.enc
>>
>> with newer versions that may be downloaded from
>>
>> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/minionpro-devel/attachments/20090814/4e956ea2/attachment.zip
>>
>> In particular, the glyph name afii61289 has been changed to uni2133, explaining your error message. I have yet to work out a way to change my installation script to reliably detect the need for the new encoding. The headers for both say the same: encoding files for MinionPro version 2.000
>>
>> Michael
>
> Thanks! It worked!
>
> Nestor

Nestor,

If you're using this for math, remember you have to use the "lf" option in the MinionPro package. Also, along MinionPro you should try out the mathalpha package. That will allow you to easily try a number of free Fraktur, calligraphic, script, and blackboard fonts to go along with Minion. I found for example that boondoxo or boondox (fancy script) go well with Minion. Michael includes good documentation with the package.

Let us know what you think!

Richard