[OS X TeX] pdfopen in MacTeX useful?

Charles Shooshan chasshoo at snet.net
Fri Aug 3 00:12:35 EDT 2012

Good day!

I am new to the group and new to LaTeX. I have been enjoying using TeXShop but I wanted to be able to work from the Terminal on occasion. I was able to get nano to do syntax highlighting and spell check. I had to manually add the /etc/paths.d/TeX and /etc/manpaths.d/TeX files (I am using Lion and plan to move to Mountain Lion).

Now my problem. I stumbled onto pdfopen and first time through I received an acroread not found error. I created a link on my path (/usr/local/bin/acroread) and I pointed it to the executable within first Adobe Reader 9 and then Adobe Reader 10. I then tried a bash script called acroread instead to launch the Readers with the OS X open command.

Some of this worked a little. Some worked not at all. All seemed to launch X11 (which I believe is gone in Mountain Lion but can a version can be downloaded). I also used the -viewer ar9-tab with pdfopen. When it worked, the file opened in Adobe Reader but did not reload if I issued the command again after a change.

Might it somehow work with Preview?

Should I just abandon the idea of using pdfopen?

Is there another option for "terminal workflow" in OS X?

Thanks for any help,
Charlie