[OS X TeX] Re: LaTeX question

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Fri Aug 10 22:33:44 EDT 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:00 PM, <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 22:11:03 -0400
> From: "Gary L. Gray" <glgray at me.com>
>
> I would like to create a list for which each entry is a displayed equation. As you can see in the following simple example (the last item is commented out -- more on that soon), LaTeX pushes the baseline of the equation well below the baseline of the bullet. If I wrap the displayed equation environment in a \raisebox and raise it zero length, the baselines align perfectly.
>
> [...snip, snip...]
>
> \begin{itemize}
> \item
> \begin{equation*}
> y = \int \sin x \,dx + x^{2}
> \end{equation*}

Try

  \item  $\displaystyle{y = \int \sin x \,dx + x^{2}}$

---John.

"Ten thousand difficulties do not make one doubt....  A man may be annoyed that he cannot work out a mathematical problem ... without doubting that it admits an answer."

---John Henry Newman [_Apologia_, p. 239 in Project Gutenberg's
   <http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22088>]