[OS X TeX] Gliimpse (FYI)

Tomas Jonsson tomas-jonsson at bredband.net
Mon Aug 27 10:10:14 EDT 2012

Hi,
yes I use synctex and Flashmode by Claus Gerhardt, but it's not always Flashmode works and I cannot figure out why, neither can Claus. It's very frustrating because it's very useful. I've spent days trying to find out why it's not working and then suddenly it works again and I don't have a clue.

So I started to look at other solutions. I've tried Latexian but I find TeXShop a much better editor (primary thanks to command completion) and it integrates much better with biber (I don't have to make a separate run to get the references correct). I also tried latexmk and got it (with option -pvc that continuously updates the pdf file when changes are done in the source file) to work partially but it's way to slow. Maybe a latex daemon working in the background would be a solution. There seem to exist a latex daemon on Windows and some Linux systems but I havn't seen anything compileed for Mac OS X. And I don't wan't to give up on the combined strengths of MacTeX and TeXShop - it works very well.

I know it's possible to do a kind of instant preview on emacs but emacs is definitely not my cup of tea.

Yes, Gliimpse seems to be almost instantaneous. Maybe it uses a precompiled format file?

Tomas