[OS X TeX] migrating from Emacs to TexShop

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Sun Feb 5 09:18:11 EST 2012

Am Feb 5, 2012 um 4:38 AM schrieb Chris Lott:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Alain Schremmer
> <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 4, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>>
>>> the power and beauty of emacs' fill-paragraph.
>>
>> Not having a clue and just out of curiosity, I googled "What is
>> fill-paragraph". As I understand it now, this has to do with left-justifying
>> only. And, indeed, Companion 2nd says on page 103:
>
> Wrong thing. What the OP is talking about is that, in Emacs, you can
> hit M-q and Emacs will rewrap your paragraph to the selected width,
> removing extra blank lines, short lines, and long lines introduced by
> editing. Vim does this for me just fine; I have no idea what TexShop
> can do.
>
> I have to say, though, that I'm surprised TexShop can't do that. But I
> also don't understand the compelling need for it. Contrary to the OP's
> experience, I find it *easier* to exchange files with long lines...
> the only exception being when sending email…

One issue concerns the behavior of Ctrl-K, which deletes to the next CR/LF. If you are editing in a paragraph consisting of a single long line comprising numerous sentences, Ctrl-K in a Cocoa app like TeXShop deletes from the cursor to the end of the entire paragraph, and as far as I know there isn't anything like Emacs' Meta-K ("kill-sentence") that enables one to delete smaller chunks. With a fixed maximum line length ending in a CR/LF, you have finer-grained control over the effects of Ctrl-K. Whether or not that it is important or useful to anyone is of course a matter of personal preferences and style but (because I'm sure everyone wants to know :-) I prefer to move my hands out of standard typing position (e.g., to highlight text use arrow keys or the mouse) as little as possible, so for me this behavior is, if perhaps not exactly compelling, very useful.

-chris