[OS X TeX] xhmlatex

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:20:32 EST 2012

On Feb 16, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Alain Schremmer
> <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2012, at 1:28 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>>
>>> a means of translating a tex file written with $ delimiters to
>>> one [with
>>> \(..\)]
>>

>> That would also be great with MathJax(*) because with, say,
>> "apples cost $3
>> and bananas cost $4",  MathJax will typeset "3 and bananas cost " as
>> mathematics.
>
> Setting    processEscapes: true  in MJ configuration you can type
> "apples cost \$3
> and bananas cost \$4" without triggering MJ

I went back to <http://www.mathjax.org/docs/1.1/start.html> where I
had read about the issue:

> The default math delimiters are $$...$$ and \[...\] for displayed
> mathematics, and \(...\) for in-line mathematics. Note in
> particular that the $...$ in-line delimiters are not used by
> default. That is because dollar signs appear too often in non-
> mathematical settings, which could cause some text to be treated as
> mathematics unexpectedly. For example, with single-dollar
> delimiters, ”... the cost is $2.50 for the first one, and $2.00 for
> each additional one ...” would cause the phrase “2.50 for the first
> one, and” to be treated as mathematics since it falls between
> dollar signs. For this reason, if you want to use single-dollars
> for in-line math mode, you must enable that explicitly in your
> configuration:

And, of course, sure enough, there it was, script and all. What
happened of course is that when I see "configuration" my eyes glaze
over. So thanks for waking me up because MathAjax is truly the best
thing to happen for a long time and now it is even better.

Grateful regards
--schremmer