[OS X TeX] Where Should 'Package' Files be Stored?

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 11 11:04:13 EST 2012

On 11-01-2012, at 16:33, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:
>

>> I use HoudahSpot for searching files.
>> I have /usr in the Finder sidebar so it's easy to tell Houdahspot to search from that point on.
>>
>> Berend
>

> Howdy,
>
> I've heard of HoudhSpot but haven't tried it. Do you have to click on the sidebar or can you make / the default search root?

You can make search templates. Any criteria, any start folder.
You can save these templates. And have them in the Templates menu and then you can use keyboard shortcuts in the form of Command-<digit> to start a new search document.
You can easily make a template for searching /usr/local/texlive.

To test this I made a new template starting a search in Macintosh HD and searching a file whose name contains latexsym. Works like a charm.

You can do much more with HoudahSpot. You can customize search results, you can search for content (exact, fuzzy) ...
It uses spotlight in a much better way than Apple. It serves me well.
I bought HoudahSpot after trying it out after reading a review by Rob Griffiths in macworld several years ago.
There are interesting alternatives (see http://www.macworld.com/article/157260/2011/01/find_any_file.html   )

Berend