[OS X TeX] command completion file for inline and display math mode

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 22 07:26:47 EST 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 1:48 AM, R Martinez wrote:

> Herb,
>
> You make some good points.
>
> With TextExpander one can have a shortcut for a multiline piece of text. So one can (and I do) have a shortcut for an environment; it is not necessary to grow it in sections. Options for arguments, jumping to different arguments, controlling the cursor position I don't think is possible with TextExpander (if it is, I have not tried it).
>
> I like using TextExpander because I can use the LaTeX file with any editor.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Raúl

Howdy,

The Command Completions and Abbreviations built into TeXShop were originally based on a set of macros written for use with TypeIt4Me which has been around and is supported for a very long time. TypeExpander, and I believe there others, are kind of ``new boys on the block'' when it comes to that sort of software. It was exactly the reasons I gave that made me give up use of TypeIt4Me. In the end I didn't like it always being ``on'' and prefer something I can control and trigger at my command.

By the way, you can certainly make an abbreviation like `fex' which expands to `for example' but you must trigger the expansion manually; I believe that was the original idea behind using TeXShop's Command Completion. I'd guess that with TextExpander putting `fex' directly in the e-mail required that you `escape' the space with the Opt key or something like that.

I'd be interested in seeing the LaTeX Completion file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)