[OS X TeX] Experience with TeXnicle?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 28 11:50:15 EST 2012

On Jan 28, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 28-01-2012, at 17:08, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Thanks for the information. I am a ``dedicated'' TeXShop user but am always open to other ideas.
>>
>> As far as Smooth Scrolling is concerned you might try to check System Preferences->General->Use smooth scrolling. Of course that's a global setting but I'd guess those that like that behavior...
>>

> Indeed but with the cursor on the last line of a window and pressing the down arrow text still scrolls up by (approximately) the middle of the window. I prefer the text to scroll up by a single line.

Howdy,

Each to his/her own I guess. I much prefer seeing surrounding text (if such exists) so I can get context while writing.

>> My main negative with using TextMate is that it always feels very slow. I guess not knowing it very well (while knowing TeXShop quite well) hinders my use. let me ask, how do you create ``custom engines'' for using latexmk, sage, etc., with TextMate?
>

> That is not the most simple of things.
> You can easily add commands in the Bundle Editor but you need to be proficient in Python, Ruby and TextMate to get things working. TextMate does use (a rather old version of) latexmk which works ok for me; I don't need much else.
>
> TextMate is very extensible but adding a new command with bells and whistles can be quite daunting and isn't all that easy.

That is what I was afraid of. I seem to remember that there is a LaTeX ``mode''. Where can I get the documentation for that ``mode''?

> TeXShop is very quick and making custom engines is very easy.  Navigating between a .tex and a .pdf is easy and fast.
> So what  I do, is use TextMate (or BBEdit) for more than casual editing stuff and use TeXShop for typesetting when only  minor editing is needed.
>
> Until now this is adequate for me.
>
> Berend

I thought that TextMate works well with Skim and you can get synctex synchronization easily between them.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)