[OS X TeX] Using 'ditto' to shrink /usr/local/texlive folder

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 30 08:38:21 EST 2012

Am 30.1.2012 um 14:24 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> One additional point. The universal binaries take up about 160MB on disk. Is it worth it given present HD capacities?

Herb,

there are (possibly younger) folks living on this planet who care a bit more about this planet and either use ten years old portable or mobile hardware or such with small SSDs. Or have more than one TeX Live edition on disk. (In the latter case it's also possible to hardlink many, many files in the stable distributions and save some more MB or GB.)

Once you've removed the unused "platform"/unnecessary binary packages you save time with each update and also some internet bandwidth for spam, what keeps our economies growing.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.