[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:18:32 EDT 2012

On 02/07/2012 01:02, David Watson wrote:
> I downloaded the malayam-latex package as a zip file from: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/malayalam
>
> The direct link to the zip file is: http://mirror.ctan.org/language/malayalam.zip
>
> I then removed the .o files from the subdirectory named src, and used "make" to generate the mm preprocessor.
>
> What I don't understand, since I don't use the package, is why the executable that is provided is named "mlym" whereas the executable output from the "make" process is named "mm".
>
> I am assuming that they are the same thing, but I am not sure.
>
> When I search through the /usr/local/texlive tree on my Mac, I see several support files
for malayalam, and I am again assuming that these correspond to the malayalam
package on CTAN, and
I assume that this is also what you are seeing on Sarovar.

> I could be wrong about any of these assumptions.

Thank you David. I think this is the same packet on Sarovar, but I shall have a
look. I have never installed a packet manually on mac. Could you please mail me
the steps? I shall try it out straight away. the preprocesser is indeed named
mm. I need to check that about mlym. If this works for me well, I shall post it,
so that others can profit from this.

Best regards
suren