[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

Jonathan jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Jul 4 06:33:22 EDT 2012

On 04.07.2012 11:19, NMPOST7 wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 23:59, Jonathan wrote:
>> On 03.07.2012 18:56, NMPOST7 wrote:
>>
>>> The only problem is
>>> Malayalam. Have been scouring the net for example.
>>
>> Something like this ought to work with xelatex, if you have the
>> Lohit Malayalam
>> font installed (or substitute another OpenType Malayalam font).
>>
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont[Script=Malayalam]{Lohit Malayalam}
>> \begin{document}
>> \sloppy
>> മനുഷ്യരെല്ലാവരും തുല്യാവകാശങ്ങളോടും അന്തസ്സോടും
>> സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യത്തോടുംകൂടി ജനിച്ചവരാണ്
>>
>> അന്യോന്യം ഭ്രാത്രുഭാവത്തോടെ പെരുമാറുവാനാണ് മനുഷ്യന്നു വിവേകബുദ്ധിയും
>> മനസ്സാക്ഷിയും സിദ്ധമായിരിക്കുന്നത്
>>
>> \end{document}
>
> I need to try with some other font probably. I have been looking up
> Lohit for
> Mac and seem to land warnings (bugs concerning the font).

I used a copy from the ubuntu ttf-indic-fonts package, and it seems to
work OK (in very limited testing, admittedly) when installed in the
Mac's Fonts folder. There are a bunch of other malayalam opentype fonts
in that package, too. It might be easiest to get a copy of the source
tarball (see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ttf-indic-fonts/ for
links), then you can try the various fonts provided and see which you
like best.