[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jul 4 09:05:37 EDT 2012

On Jul 4, 2012, at 7:41 AM, NMPOST7 wrote:

> On 04/07/2012 14:34, NMPOST7 wrote:
>> On 04/07/2012 14:19, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>> If you saw Malayalam in the e-mail that was sent you should have a font that has that script.
>> You might try to print that e-mail to pdf and see what font is included in that
>> pdf for the Malayalam text.
>> I use Adobe Reader to see that but I know there are CLI commands to tell you the
>> fonts used in the pdf.
>>
>> Thank you for that tip. I just did it and checked the document properties, where
>> the fonts are named.
>>
>> Two fonts are names:
>> 1. AnjaliOldLipi (embedded Subset) ttf, encoding: built-in
>> 2. courier (embedded subset) ttf, encoding: Roman
>>
>> Strangely enough. I did try using AnjaliOldLipi (available in fontbook) but
>> xelatex complained about the non availability of the font!
>
> found the problem!!!!!!
> Herbert/Jonathan
>
> problems lies not with the font but with TexShop. It has problems with unicode!!
> It appears, that we have the solution. The font I used was the original used my
> Jonathan. Lohit. I shall now try with the others.
>
> TexShop displayed the pasted text. but when saved. replaces the text with
> question marks. Aparently TexShop cannot digest unicode.
>
> cheers
> suren

Howdy,

TeXShop doesn't have a problem with Unicode! However, the default encoding when you first open it is MacOSRoman. You can change the default encoding in TeXshop->Preferences->Source->Encoding. You can also simply use the line

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

near the top of your source file to tell TeXShop to save the file in UTF-8 the first time you save it. It will also be used to read the file by TeXShop when you re-open the file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)