[OS X TeX] Funny bug in hyperref

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 12:52:29 EDT 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a minimal tex source that can produce it?
>>
>> May not be minimal but here is a small one:
>>

>> \documentclass[11pt]{book}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{pdfsync}
>> \usepackage{url}
>> \usepackage[hyperfootnotes=false]{hyperref}%[pdfborder={0 0 0}]
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> \chapter{Chapter}
>> \section{Section The First}
>> Some text
>> \vspace{100mm}
>> Some text
>>

>> Some text before Some text before Some text before Some text before
>> Some text before Some text before Some text before \url{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States
>> }.)
>>

>> \section{Section The Second}
>>
>> Some text
>>
>> \end{document}
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I get a failure to produce a PDF by pdflatex with this example. Not
> only that... why in the world are you using the pdfsync package. It
> is know to have strange effects on document and has been completely
> replaced by synctex which is built into the pdftex, etc., engines.

(1) Well, you know, it was working so I never paid any attention and
kept on writing. I have now removed pdfsync and ... it seems still to
be working.

(2) I removed pdfsync from the above example and I am still getting
the funny bug.

(3) Occasionally, the pdf would be blank but ok when opened with
preview. I guess that this was one of the "strange effects".

Best regards
--schremmer