[OS X TeX] Package xparse Error: Support package l3kernel too old..

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 7 14:54:31 EDT 2012

On Jul 7, 2012, at 1:33 PM, Yvon Thoraval wrote:

> actually i do have the following versions installed :
> $ ls /usr/local/texlive/
> 2009 2010 2011 texmf-local
>
> from pref pane it is the 2011 choosen.
>
> If i launch "Tex Live Utility" (V. 1.0.1)  (pointing to
> http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/) it says :
>
> "No Update Available"  for Updates tag.
>
> Also :
> $  sudo tlmgr update --self
> Password:
> tlmgr: package repository
> http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/mirrors/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
> TeX Live 2011 is frozen forever and will no
> longer be updated.  This happens in preparation for a new release.
>
> If you're interested in helping to pretest the new release (when
> pretests are available), please read http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html.
> Otherwise, just wait, and the new release will be ready in due time.
> tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups
> tlmgr: no updates for tlmgr present.
> tlmgr: no updates available
>
> I'll ask for pretest, because I do have a thesis to finish by the end of
> august...
>
> my MacTeX.mpkg.zip ha been downloaded yesterday.
>
> i'm presently installing TeXLive 2011 from DVD on Ubuntu I'll see the
> differences with the same distro ...

Howdy,

If you just installed MacTeX-2011 yesterday you definitely are way behind in updates. I thought that the updates should still work until TeX Live 2012 came out but that may be wrong.

If you wish to download and install the MacTeX-2012 pretest (I'd guess it will be released very soon) please go to one of the repositories listed at <http://www.tug.org/texlive/mirmon/> and download the mactex20120701.pkg and corresponding md5 files. You can check the md5 sum of the pkg against the one in the .md5 file to make sure it downloaded ok.

PS: I've been using that distribution and it's very stable.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)