[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2012 status

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 12:21:23 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Yvon Thoraval <yvon.ubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/7/8 Kirk Lowery <empirical.humanist at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I know that TeX Live 2012 is available for many systems. I don't know if
>> > it is specifically available for Xubuntu (yet) but you can get more
>> > information about it at <http://www.tug.org/texlive/>.
>>
>> I'm installing TeX Live 2012 even as I write for my Ubuntu system.
>> Although Ubuntu has its own packages of TeX and friends, I strongly
>> recommend serious TeX users to install TeX Live in /usr/local. The
>> Ubuntu packages are invariably older.
>>

> Wy ? I dis install the TL2011 under ~ it works.
> I plan to put 2012 aside.
> The original texlive is 2009 on Ubuntu 12.04 and is under /usr/local.

Ah! Yes, that works, too. /usr/local is just the recommended way in a
multi-user installation. If you are the only user, then
/home/yourusername works just fine.

I was really recommending that one install the entire texlive system
on Ubuntu, rather than relying upon Ubuntu's texlive packages and one
avoids collisions with Ubuntu's texlive install by avoiding the system
directories.

Kirk
--
$DO || ! $DO ; try