[OS X TeX] locating copies

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 24 11:19:53 EDT 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. wrote:

> Thanks to both Herb and Richard for their responses.  Somehow the idea of secret commands (as Herb suggests might happen with "Save As…") doesn't appeal to me--in fact seems to me perverse.  So I hope what Richard says comes to pass.
>
> I tried the command click;  it works on my original file, but on the file copy I get nothing, in keeping with Herb's explanation.
> In fact, when I command-S'd it, I was able to give it a name and save it where I pleased.  Thanks.
>
> On Jul 24, 2012, at 10:59, Richard Koch wrote:
>
> Nitecki,
>
> I'm hoping that others will answer as well and fill in information I leave out.
>
> To find a file which is open, hold down the control key while clicking
> the window title. A menu will drop down listing the full path to the file.
> The first item will be the folder containing the file, the second item will
> be the folder containing the first folder, etc. All of these items are
> active, so for instance selecting the first item will take you directly to
> the file.
>
> You also "complain" that "Save As…" is missing, and making a copy
> is trickier in Lion. This was a common complaint, so Apple made some
> changes in Mountain Lion, which should be released in just a few
> days. In particular, "Save As…" is now back.
>
> Incidentally, this shows the power of the Cocoa environment. I never
> removed "Save As …" in the first place. When I activate automatic saving
> in Lion, Cocoa automatically modifies the menu structure,
> and makes all other changes necessary for the Lion experience. In Mountain
> Lion, I make no changes at all. Indeed your current copy of TeXShop (and other
> Cocoa apps) will automatically have "Save As" again.
>
> Dick Koch
>
> On Jul 24, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. wrote:
>
>> If I am viewing a source file in TeXShop and want to make a copy (e.g., to save one version while I try some temporary modifications), I can no longer "Save As.." but need to use "Duplicate", which takes file.tex and creates file copy.
>> 1. Where is file copy located?  (It does not appear to be in the same folder as file.tex)
>> 2. Not a TEX question, but a relevant Mac question:  is there an easy way to locate a file which I have open (i.e., find out where it lives)?  Trying to coax that information out of the search command (the magnifying glass) in OS 10.7 is difficult at best, and impossible most of the time.  Used to be you could "Get Information" in "File", but no more...
>>
>> Zbigniew Nitecki
>> Department of Mathematics
>> Tufts University
>> Medford, MA 02155

Howdy,

By the way, that behavior is standard with ALL new documents that haven't been saved before. Under OS X 10.7 (and I expect 10.8) a ``version'' of the document is created behind the scenes and that file will continue to get opened when you start TeXShop until you Save the file or attempt to dismiss the file (i.e., close the window) at which time you'll get a Save sheet.

Incidentally, in earlier iterations of OS X 10.7 the Duplicate command produced a file with extension .txt by default while the latest iteration names the window with the duplicate with no extension and when you try to close the window or save the document it has the .tex extension.

I too am looking forward Save As… in Mountain Lion.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)