[OS X TeX] textsc in chapter heading

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:21:59 EDT 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> It seems that the protection of \textsc  in
>>
>> 	\chapter{The Basis Of \protect \textsc{Arithmetic}}
>>
>> does not work.
>>
>> Of course
>>
>> 	\chapter[The Basis of ARITHMETIC]{The Basis of A{\huge RITHMETIC}}
>>
>> is good enough for me.
>>
>> But is there a "clean" way?
>>
>> I think I once asked a similar question but was not able to find
>> anything about it in either my mail or the archive. I also googled
>> but to no avail.
>>
>> Hopeful regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Howdy,
>
> I don't see why you have to \protect anything in that argument. It
> seems to work with or without the \protect just fine and also with
> \tableofcontents. What kind of problem are you having?

\textsc doesn't have any effect within the chapter title.

> Can you give a minimal but compilable example of where it goes wrong.

\documentclass[11pt]{book}
\begin{document}
          \tableofcontents
\chapter{The Basis of \textsc{Arithmetic}}
  	Some \textsc{Text}
		 \newpage
  	Some more \textsc{Text}
\end{document}

Observe that \textsc works on "Some \textsc{Text}" but neither on
"\textsc{Basis}" in the chapter title nor in the toc but that it does
work in the running heading (page 4)

Same results with

\chapter[The Basis of \textsc{Arithmetic}]{The Basis of
\textsc{Arithmetic}}

Regards
--schremmer