[OS X TeX] Finding errors with \input statements in TeXShop?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 4 16:13:47 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Demitri Muna wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a very long LaTeX document in TeXShop, and as such I've broken into several files. For each chapter, I use
>
> \input{chapter1.tex}
> \input{chapter2.tex}
> etc.
>
> The "main" file is actually very short. When I compile and invariable get errors, it gives me the line number of the main file. Is there a way for TeXShop to jump to (or open) the actual file that contains the error via the "goto error" button? It would seem that a project-style UI would be a nice improvement here. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Demitri

Howdy,

What version of TeXShop are you using? How are you compiling your file. If you've been using TeXShop for a long time please take a look at TeXShop->Preferences->Engine and see if the commands in the pdfTeX section the Latex line has --file-line-error as an option.

How old is your TeX distribution? That has a bearing on this too!

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)