[OS X TeX] Eliminate extra vertical space in enumerate?

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Sun May 6 16:04:46 EDT 2012

On May 6, 2012, at 3:26 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On May 6, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is not a Mac specific question, but I thought I would venture here first.
>>
>> In the solutions manual for my textbooks, the problem statement and accompanying figure for each solution is enclosed in a box at the top of the page. If the problem statements consists of nothing but an enumerate environment, then extra vertical space is placed between the beginning of the environment and the rule of the enclosing box above it. Is there some way that this space can be removed in the case for which the problem state is nothing but this environment? Appended is a short example that exhibits the behavior I am describing. Notice the white space above the enumerate environment that does not exist in the second framebox.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> \documentclass{article}
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \framebox{%
>> \parbox{\textwidth}{%
>> \begin{enumerate}
>> \item
>> First item.
>> \item
>> Second item.
>> \item
>> Third item.
>> \end{enumerate}%
>> }}
>>
>> \framebox{%
>> \parbox{\textwidth}{%
>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin sollicitudin arcu quis leo molestie ut porttitor nibh ullamcorper. Duis quis urna nec mauris aliquet convallis.}}
>>
>> \end{document}
>
> There is a package called mdwtools which may help.
>
> Add
>
> \usepackage{mdwlist}
>
> to your preamble. This gives you new list environments enumerate*, description* and itemize* just like the unstarred versions, but without the fat.

Thank you. It removes the fat between items, but not above and/or below. Your tip did lead me to the enumitem package, which is supposed to supersede mdwlist. enumitem will remove the white space above the environment, but I still haven't found a way to do it on a contextual basis as I described.

Thank you though -- I am still working my way through the 17 pages of documentation.

Gary