[OS X TeX] Another math font for MinionPro

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu May 10 01:40:26 EDT 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 7:20 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 9 May 2012, at 19:29, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>
>> On May 9, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:
>>
>>> I get "Font shape undefined" errors for `T1/pmnj/m/n' and `T1/pmnj/m/it', which yield a later "perhaps nxlmi is missing from the map file". Is it my setting?
>>>
>>> On another vein, I am never sure on the loading order. Would the following be OK?:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Hi Nestor,
>>
>> That means TeX cannot find a file by the name of t1pmnj.fd (spelled out, t1(T1 encoding), p(Adobe), mn ( MinionPro), j (with old-style figures), .fd (font definition)) which should have been created by otfinst as part of its conversion of MinionPro in otf format to a collection of PostScript fonts with associated support files. If you have not performed this step, it may be easier to use the second method, involving XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, but I think those won't work with the cmap package.
>>
>> If you do decide to try to use otfinst, it is much easier to use the TeXFontUtility menu item---it creates a custom versions of otfinst that doesn't mess up up your font setup. Don't be alarmed if it takes an hour or more to run all the steps.
>
> I do have files like "T1MinionPro-OsF.fd" in "/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/MinionPro" (installed by TexFontUtility), or "t1ntxr.fd", "t1ntxss.fd" and "t1ntxtt.fd" in "~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ntx" (installed by unzipping ntxTDS), but I could not find "t1pmnj.fd" files.
>
> Certainly "nxlmi" is missing from the map file (either ntx.map or /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/libertine-legacy/libertine.map, any other places?).
>
>> I don't see any problems with your loading order, as long as you do have the the proper minion support files.

You may find it easier to install support from minion.zip at

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html

It's assumed that you have a recent version of the four basic MinionPro otf fonts, perhaps from Adobe Reader. You need to convert each of them to pfb format using

cfftot1 MinionPro-Regular.otf MinionPro-Regular.pfb

etc, unless the .pfb already exists in your texmf forest. Otherwise, copy the pfb files into fonts/type1/adobe/minion folder.   In a Terminal window, cd to inside the expanded minion.zip (you should see only folders named fonts and tex) and type

sudo cp -Rf * /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

or the equivalent command you use for font installation, then

sudo mktexlsr

and finally

sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map=minion.map

after which you should be able to say

\usepackage{minion}

without invoking MnSymbol.

Michael