[OS X TeX] citation in text fail to appear as expected

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 19 08:49:50 EDT 2012

On May 19, 2012, at 7:37 AM, konstantinos vasilakos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
>
> I have it in the end of the .text
>
> and also
>
> \bibliography{nameBibFile}
>
> ---->
> LaTeX Warning: Citation `citeulike:257255' on page 2 undefined on input line 24
> .
>

> LaTeX Warning: Citation `citeulike:1468371' on page 2 undefined on input line 2
> 8.
>

> LaTeX Warning: Citation `citeulike:1468371' on page 2 undefined on input line 3
> 1.
>
> (./Untitled.bbl [2]) [3] (./Untitled.aux)
>
> LaTeX Warning: There were undefined references.
>

> Though the references are been created correctly in the end of my page.
>
> Thanks
> \K.

Howdy,

I assume your bib file has the name nameBibFile.bib. Those messages are typical for an incomplete set of runs of pdflatex.

After running bibtex you need to run pdflatex one or two more times for the bibliography to appear and the references to be resolved. The sequence is

pdflatex
bibtex
pdflatex
pdflatex

and it should work. Please let us know if it doesn't work.

PS: there is a way to automate this action but let's make sure that it works manually first.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)