[OS X TeX] How do I use a personally compiled luatex with MacTeX,

George Nurser gnurser at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:12:24 EDT 2012

On 28 May 2012 12:37, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 28.05.2012 um 13:04 schrieb George Nurser:
>
>> I suspect I'm doing the whole thing wrong here, as I guess I want the
>> new luatex installed into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local or into
>> ~/Library/texmf.
>
> No. It's an executable and has therefore only one place: either /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin (for 64-bit executables) or /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/universal-darwin when it runs on 32-but architectures like i386 or ppc. And maybe some more files need to be installed...
>
> Installation is usually performed with 'sudo make install'. You can invoke 'sudo make -n install' to see what would be installed where. After the real installation you would need to rebuild the luaTeX based formats.

Pete,
The luatex INSTALL file states:

# This distribution is essentially a stripped-down version of
# the TeXlive distribution with some additional libraries.

# All source code is in the directory source; the build.sh
# scripts will generate and populate a directory build.

# The actual code of luaTeX is in source/texk/web2c/luatexdir
# and its subdirectories.

# \* build.sh         builds a native luatex on your system
# \* build.sh --ppc   crosscompiles for osx-ppx from osx-intel
# \* build.sh --mingw crosscompiles luatex for mingw32 on i686-linux

# LuaTeX does not need a run-time pool file, and it locates
# texmf.cnf based on its relative position in the TeX tree.

# Post-compilation installation should be a simple matter
# of copying the executable to a normal place for web2c
# binaries

OK, this is I think what you suggested. I did try this, but it didn't
work without..
# and generating the desired formats.

This is what I'm not sure about.

Thanks, George.