[OS X TeX] command-click on the name of a console file

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:38:25 EST 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 11:26 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:

> On 15/11/2012, at 5:18 PM, Alain Schremmer
> <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:
>>
>>> On 15/11/2012, at 4:42 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com

>>> This is a bit of a hack, but you could use \typeout:
>>>
>>> Somewhere in the document, I suggest right before \end{document},
>>> have a command that's something like
>>> \typeout{RBAv4-1 > Text > 13}
>>> This will get printed to the console (after all the [x] stuff
>>> about pages), so you know which file it is.
>>
>> I could not resist checking immediately but, alas, it doesn't show
>> in the console. (I made a search.) It would have been a nice hack,
>> though. I will look into \typeout tomorrow. (Got to get up at 6:00)
>>
>> Best regards
>> --schremmer
>

> That's odd.

It isn't odd, it's me who can't even search properly.

As I said, it is a nice hack and I am going to use it systematically.
(It would be even nicer if it were at the very bottom of the console
so that it could be seen in the smallest window.) And then, of course,
I wanted to automate things and tried

\typeout{IF YOU CAN'T SEE THIS IS \currfiledir, GET YOUR EYES CHECKED.}

but the directory name doesn't appear. Too bad. I understand that
commands that appear in the argument of \typeout are replaced by their
definition but exceptions seem to be possible, e.g. \space which is
replaced by a single space. I tried to understand
<http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/57580/showing-expanded-let-command-with-typeout

but that is definitely beyond me.

All of which to show that you can never help someone (like me)
enough---not to say that I don't really NEED this.

Grateful regards
--schremmer