[OS X TeX] Preview on Retina screen

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Tue Nov 20 11:35:06 EST 2012

On Nov 20, 2012, at 8:46 AM, "Vamos, Peter" <P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

> 1) One could play safe and set  "Open in Low Resolution". But then wouldn't this just negate all the tauted advantages of Retina in clearer text fonts in Edit windows (and Preview as well?) Quite apart from other unintended consequences. So, until Apple fixes this what would be the best way to use TS with included pdf files?

I have had my retina MBP since July and this is the first time I have encountered this issue, so it isn't something that is common or widespread. I will add that LaTeX documents with vector graphics look amazing on this display. It still blows me away.

> 2) Would it be possible by experimentation, trial and error, whatever, to pin down the type of graphics pdf which causes the problem? Is it Illustrator? For example I don't use illustrator but do have files with TikZ graphics, would I still encounter this problem?

I don't use TikZ graphics, so I can't help there. With that said, I have typeset thousands of pages with thousands of Illustrator graphics files (two textbooks) and this is the first time I have seen this issue.

> 3) Is there a workaround (until Apple fixes this bug)? For example what about using Skim instead of Apple's PDFKit? I seem to recall reading (in this forum?) that Skim is a Cocoa app and TS can be linked to it though I don't use it myself.

Herb as addressed this. I will add what has already been said a couple of times -- Adobe Acrobat does not exhibit this problem.

I hope this helps.

Gary