[OS X TeX] iOS and TeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Sat Sep 1 11:52:53 EDT 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 3:28 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> 1. I was told that the problem is that TeX is an interpreted language and Apple does not allow interpreted languages in iOS. Is this true?

Apple doesn't want application environments which allow others to bypass their tools. There was a clause specifically forbidding such, but it has since been lifted.

> 2. I believe that  OSX implementations of TeX use Unix commands to do TeX. What happens on an Android device?

Android runs on a Linux architecture, so one can use native tools.

> 3. If an iOX implementation has to be sandboxed to be sold in the App Store, could one use Textures to typeset? (Is it out of beta?)

Textures is the model which one would have to follow to properly get TeX into the App Store AIUI. Textures took the public domain TeX algorithm, placed it w/in their Mac App Code and used it to directly typeset to the screen, which allowed them to have total awareness w/in the app of where a given bit of typeset text was on the screen.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer