[OS X TeX] iOS apps

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 4 06:13:33 EDT 2012

On 04-09-2012, at 11:41, Scot Mcphee wrote:

> I do wish the editor had a few more convenience features, for an text editor, i.e. keyboard shortcuts (e.g the sort of thing you get in Emacs, although specifically I've been a vi man and never an emacs guy). Usually when I'm working with text or code I tend to not like to have to use the mouse. On the other hand I'm almost totally accustomed after all these years the keybindings from Eclipe's Java editor. IDE editors tend to have a lot of good commands, I guess the audience always expects that. For example a command to delete the entire line, delete the line from current cursor to line end, or to move a line up or down relative to the other lines, or even to replicate a whole line.

If an editor uses the Cocoa Text system it will use a ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict in which you can define your shortcuts.
Example:
{
    /* delete line */

    "^G" = ( "selectLine:", "delete:" );

    /* delete to beginning of line */

    "^u" = "deleteToBeginningOfLine:";

    /* duplicate current line */

    "^D" = ( "selectLine:", "copy:", "moveToBeginningOfLine:", "paste:" );

}

Ctrl-K to "delete to end of line" is standard for the Cocoa textsystem.

> But I've never really found a satisfactory text editor on the Mac that does everything I want in that regard (short of vi in a shell!). Probably should look at BBEdit now that Textmate is dead.

Who says? There is an alpha TextMate 2 that seems to be quite actively developed with a lot of discussion on the TextMate users mailinglist.

Berend