[OS X TeX] Find & Replace in TS

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at me.com
Sat Sep 8 06:43:59 EDT 2012

On Sep 7, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> You clearly did a Replace All instead of a Find All.

Yes, because the two buttons are so close to each other.

> If it was blank it would have replaced each of those occurrences by nothing!

Yes, but TextEdit, for example, hides the replace tab until you specifically ask to replace. This keeps the Find and Replace actions safely separate.

> Also, if you have something in the replace the Replace/Replace All buttons should be active. Finally, the contents of the Replace field should NOT be emptied after use

I disagree. As soon as you change the string in Find, the string in Replace becomes obsolete.

> By the way, I usually do a Find, to check that the Find is doing the right thing and then do a Replace to make sure that is going correctly.

Yes, but because the Find All and Replace buttons are next to each other, you can still hit the wrong button unintentionally.  It took 10 years  for this to happen to me, but eventually it did (isn't TS about 10 years old?).

Themis